I started my company about a year ago, but I’ve been doing consulting for a long time. In fact, my first job in the IT industry was working for a consulting firm. Before that, starting as far back as grade school, I was involved in a lot of volunteer civic and community service activities. I admire companies who get involved in their communities, or even outside of their communities, wherever help is needed.
As part of my business plan, I’ve put in place a policy of accepting one pro-bono consulting project per year. So far, I haven’t gotten any requests for free consulting work, so here’s my public shout out to let you know what types of services are available:
1. Speaking or Training. My specialties are things like advanced Linux administration and SQL, but I’m perfectly capable of delivering content for people who just need to know how the internet works, or want to know more about social media.Training, funny enough, has been the bulk of my business for the past year.
2. I can help with MySQL performance tuning on *nix systems, including finding hotspots related to the design of the database itself, or how your application code interacts with the database. If it happens that your MySQL server is performing poorly due to an underpowered system, I can also pinpoint which resource is dragging on the performance of your database.
3. If you just need random scripts written to perform *nix system administration tasks, I can consult with you about the requirements and write them for you. Note that while I can script in several languages, my preference for anything longer than 40 lines of code is Python.
4. I can build PC’s, install networks, set up firewalls and wireless routers, and all of the normal “office IT” functions, but note that my consulting is Linux consulting. I don’t work with Windows (well, I do, but not for free) 😉
5. If there’s some other thing you’ve seen me blog about here, chances are I’ll be willing to perform a pro-bono consulting engagement to do it for you, or show you how to approach a problem, a large project, a migration, automation, monitoring, security or whatever.
Unless you happen to live within commuting distance to Princeton, NJ, work will be done remotely 🙂
Please email your request to jonesy at owladvisors dot com. Include your organization’s name, your contact info, and as much detail about the project and what your organization does as possible. The decision of which project to take on will be based solely on the information in your request!